Bellechasse Transport Center - Société de transport de Montréal
Client : Société de transport de Montréal (STM)
- Winner - 2019 Canadian Architect Awards of Excellence - Award of Merit
- Award of Merit - 2020 AZ Awards - "Concepts: Unbuilt Buildings" Category
- Winner - 2020 Architizer A+Awards - "Transportation - Unbuilt" Category
The Bellechasse Transport Center is an exceptional project for both its outstanding design and its innovative approach to urban integration. The building has a 120 m (394 ft) by 180 m (591 ft) footprint and elegantly conceals the maintenance and operations of the Société de Transport de Montréal’s buses. Functional and distinctive, the Bellechasse Transport Center will be the first multi-level center in Canada and the first in North America to be completely underground. Fitted out with the necessary equipment to operate a complete fleet of 100% electric buses, it will receive a significant portion of the STM’s 300 hybrid buses starting in January 2022.
TECHNICAL CHALLENGES (Main Building Superstructure by SNC-Lavalin | Circular Ramps and Excavation by ELEMA) :
- Excavation of the building footprint to a depth of 20 m (66 ft), including 18 m (59 ft) in a non-fractured rock of excellent quality.
- Complex geometry accommodating circular bus ramps.
- Imposing steel structure designed for heavy electric buses loads.
- Steel structure transferring a circular column pattern to an orthogonal grid.
NOTABLE SOLUTIONS AND INNOVATIONS :
- Rock excavation strategy to take advantage of building boundaries in relation to the lot limit
- BIM integration for all disciplines including the site excavation
- Steel transfer structure for circular ramps to support floor loads and provide adequate clearance for vehicles
CONSTRUCTION SITE PHOTOS :
** Project in collaboration with SNC-Lavalin
PRESS REVIEW :
- RADIO-CANADA - Le centre de transport Bellechasse sera construit sous terre
- JOURNAL MÉTRO - Le centre de transport Bellechasse sera reconstruit en souterrain
- LE DEVOIR - Le garage Bellechasse de la STM sera construit sous terre
- MONTREAL GAZETTE - Montreal to bury its new $254-million Bellechasse bus garage underground
- TVA NOUVELLES - Un futur garage d’autobus primé
- CANADIAN ARCHITECT MAGAZINE - Bellechasse Transport Centre