Client : Devimco Immobilier
This project involves the construction of a mixed-use complex (residential and commercial) located in Montreal’s Griffintown neighborhood, at the corner of Peel and Wellington.
The building is composed of a two storey podium from which emerge the two point towers with 462 residential units in total. The project forms a complex of 25 storeys above ground (70 m / 230 ft) as well as three levels of underground parking.
The project is particularly characterized by large 5 m (16 ft) high commercial spaces, a vegetated inner courtyard, two green roofs on the podium, a rooftop pool on the tower parallel to Shannon Street and a reflecting pool on the roof of the other tower.
TECHNICAL CHALLENGES :
- Twin towers on a common podium requiring multiple lateral analysis models in order to understand the impact of different phasing possibilities when an earthquake occurs.
- Foundations were optimized by trying different foundation systems to account for poor soil conditions and verifying the feasibility and cost of the different options.
- Mixed-use podium levels with complicated column transfers.
- Extensive landscaped roofs at podium levels and diverse rooftop amenities at the top of the towers (pools for example) required straightforward structural solutions to manage the architectural complexities.
NOTABLE SOLUTIONS AND INNOVATIONS :
- Value-engineered mixed deep foundation system using both large diameter augered caissons and driven steel piles.
- Complex suspended structures such as a rainwater storage tank and a ground-floor level Hydro vault were integrated.